In advance of its official release on February 26, 2013, the album art for “Nyash UP!” is out! As Chicago Afrobeat Project’s fourth studio effort, the group took a unique approach on the album by mashing Radiohead and Fugazi with Fela Kuti, while also reinterpreting songs from Marvin Gaye, Talking Heads, System of a Down, Ceu, 808 State, the Vandermark 5, and Led Zeppelin.
Listen to an audio preview of “Inner City Blues Make Ya Wanna Holler (Marvin Gaye)” featuring Chicago vocalists Ugochi and Squair Blaq.
Discounted pre-orders are also available now.
[button link=”http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/eventV2/179357?__utmx=-&__utmv=-&__utmk=218289433&__utmz=1.1353910342.2.2.utmcsr%3Dgoogle%7Cutmccn%3D%28organic%29%7Cutmcmd%3Dorganic%7Cutmctr%3D%28not+provided%29&wrKey=0DB91E432749B2A1B22BB59CACFB48F9&__utma=1.1742793304.1352875581.1352875581.1353910342.2&__utmc=1&__utmb=18.104.22.1683910342″ size=”large”]BUY TICKETS[/button]
Prepare for a very special night as Chicago Afrobeat Project celebrates 10 years and the release of its new album “Nyash UP!” on Saturday, December 15, 2012 the Double Door in Wicker Park. The night will feature many surprises and special guests.
Also on the bill to help celebrate the night are our good friends:
About “Nyash UP!”
“Nyash UP!” is the Chicago Afrobeat Project’s fourth studio release and its first in four years. The band took a unique approach the album by reinterpreting the music of artists who have made an impact on them over the years. Radiohead and Fugazi are mashed with Fela Kuti, while Talking Heads, Ceu, System of a Down, Led Zeppelin, 808 State, Marvin Gaye, and the Vandermark 5 are reinterpreted by the band.
The album is by far the group’s most ambitious recording to date. Listen to a track from the new album: “Inner City Blues Makes Ya Wanna Holler (Marvin Gaye).”
What’s up, West Coasters!
It’s been a minute since we’ve headed your way, but we’re coming out with a vengeance for a three work tour June 21-July 7 through Nevada, Utah, California, Washington, and Oregon.
AND… we’re touring in advance of our new record, “Nyash Up!” so you’ll be sure to hear some new tunes. We’ve set an official release date of Tuesday, August 14. Stay tuned for more info on the record, as we have quite a bit up our sleeve for the next few months.
We’ll see you soon, son!
Chicago Afrobeat Project Tour Dates:
- Wed June 20 – E String – Las Vegas, NV
- Thu June 21 – Zanzibar – “Afro Funke night” – Los Angeles, CA
- Fri June 22 – Groovefest – Cedar City, UT
- Sat June 23 – Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort – Snowbird, UT
- Sun June 24 – Salt Lake City Arts & Music Festival – Salt Lake City, UT
- Tue June 26 – Silver Moon Brewing Company – Bend, OR
- Wed June 27 – (daytime show) Western Oregon University – Monmouth, OR
- Thu June 28 – The Royal Lounge – Olympia, WA
- Fri June 29 – The Jazzbones – Tacoma, WA
- Sat, June 30 – The Goodfoot – Portland, OR
- Sun, July 1 – Twisp River Pub – Twisp, WA
- Tue, July 3 – The Royal Room – Seattle, WA
- Wed, July 4 – Pangea – Quincy, CA (sponsored by KQNY)
- Fri, July 6 – Friday Night Live at the Plaza – Cloverdale, CA
- Sat, July 7 – TBD